Monday, January 19, 2009

The process of flash writing, day 2

Yesterday, just as I posted my last blog entry, I looked out of the window. It was snowing. Immediately I realised that my "bugs" were going to be "snow bugs." More images: sister / brother, bugs, snowbugs, tragedy, avalanche. Avalanche. I knew it was going to be about an avalanche. I wrote the first sentence:

"The day after the avalanche snowflakes fluttered like bugs--they gathered around my head, stung me just below my eyes, and burrowed into my mohair scarf to lay their eggs. "

I finished the draft, 477 words, and am now revising. I'm not sure of the title, yet.

3 comments:

  1. Ania, I adore that starting line! I love how you continue the metaphor with the eggs being laid in the scarf. It's also very cool to get a glimpse of your writing processs - thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sharon. I'm running out of things I can share. This daily blogging thing was a bit of an overkill, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The conceptual coalescence of this piece is a real strength. It's great to see how it all came together.

    ReplyDelete