Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Iqaluit vs. Halifax

It's so warm in Iqaluit today, my friend is not even wearing her mitts! It is warmer (-7.7C) there than in Halifax! (-7.1C, but the wind chill is-14C, while it is only -11C in Iqaluit).

It's easier to feel cold in Halifax. Yesterday, on our 10 minute wak to Tim Horton's, my toes got numb in perfectly balmy weather because we stopped every two meters as the kids played in the snow. My toes were never numb in Iqaluit! My hikers were warmer, I walked faster, and if it was below -35C, I wasn't out for long periods of time. If anything, I was often hot in Iqaluit by the time I got home from my walks--sweating under my parka. My face, though, was another matter. That wind could scrape off a layer of your skin, that's for sure!

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! I always found it to be a "dry cold" in Nunavut versus a "damp chill" in Nova Scotia. Dealing with the two different climates called for drastically different approaches. Multiple thick socks, for instance, came in much handier for walking in Halifax than in Iqaluit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you still love me if I tell you that I

    A) knew this would happen, and;
    B) deliberately chose not to tell you to increase the chances you'd stay here?

    It's the only thing I held back, I swear. Um, that and The Lottery in the spring. (Don't worry, with nearly a million people in Nova Scotia, you're almost guaranteed to survive!)

    ReplyDelete