Monday, January 12, 2009

Little fishtank on my counter and other exciting news

I've become more at ease about the fish. I glance at him from time to time as I wash the dishes, and I see the bubbles. I have faith now. The fish will make it. Little things make us happy.

In other news, we've been reading Little House in the Big Woods, and I learned what a delaine was. (Ma wore her best delaine to the dance.) I wish I could wear dresses like this. I guess I could. Why not? I could wear anything I want.

And yet in other news, my daughter was dying to make butter, a la Ma and Laura, and we spent 20 minutes working on the 18% cream. I would've died in the wilderness, I swear. My coffee was pleasantly fluffy, though.

4 comments:

  1. Try 35 percent. ;-) I've accidentally made butter from that just by letting my mind wander while I whipped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I had to buy the highest percentage, but didn't remember which. For some reason, 18% was the highest. I felt some unease, as it said "coffee cream", and I vaguely remembered that the other one said something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find Canadian cream terminology odd. In the States 18% is not labelled "cream" as it is here; it's labelled "half and half", which it is--half cream and half not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's called half and half in Ontario as well.

    ReplyDelete