Friday, March 20, 2009

Now Halifax has everything I need

The store Olha's Ukrainian Foods offers less selection than the stores in Toronto, but satisfies my cravings just fine. I still call this "Russian food," out of habit, but the point is the same--this is the food of childhood celebrations. Food available (sometimes, if we were lucky) for New Year's Eve, or someone's birthday. Pickled red tomatoes, vegetable spreads, "syrki" (I introduce them as mini chocolate covered cheesecakes, only better, to my Canadian friends), zefir (like marshmallows, only better, way better)...Ah...I just ate way too much of good stuff.

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I'm very excited to go to the Newfoundland store in Cambridge Ontario, there are a lot of foods specific to our little province that can't be found "up on Canada" lol

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a Newfoundland store in Halifax too! I ate way too much, though...

    ReplyDelete