Sunday, March 1, 2009

82 Markets

March! I love this month. New beginnings. I haven't been submitting my short stories aggressively enough in the last year--new baby, new novel, a move cross country, another novel. I've been busy writing and living, and the little ugly aspect of actually submitting my work was on the back burner. This morning I went back to duotrope.com and hit my search criteria: literary fiction, short story, payment token and up, print publication, electronic submission, simultaneous submissions allowed. 82 markets.

I'm picky about where my short stories go. While there are great markets on-line for flash fiction, I still stubbornly think that short stories belong in print magazines. One reason for my bias--I think that flash is best suited for the Internet. Flash is easy to read on screen. But when I want to read a short story, I want an actual magazine in my hands. I want to be able to walk away from it and come back, without scrolling and going into my favourites. It is just a different feeling. Another reason--flash is infinitely more accessible on-line. I can send my links to my friends (and strangers); I can post them on my blog. I like how a flash piece becomes alive on the internet.

As for my short stories--I'll try a submission a day for the month of March.

1 comment: