Thursday, April 30, 2009

Halifax Forest Fire


There's major forest fire about 5km from us (my estimate). On the news they name the Hering Cove area, which is our general area, but we're too far from the fire to be evacuated, thanks goodness. I saw the billows of smoke as I was returning home from downtown. When I got out of the cab in front of our house, my daughter ran to me to tell me she'd been taking pictures from our backyard. (Does it look like an elephant with teddy bear's ears or like a tail-less puppy eating a bone? There was a mini debate in our household.)


Three hours ago dark clouds of smoke were still overwhelmingly huge, but right now, even if I can still see the glow of the fire from my back porch, it appears to be more under control. I feel terrible for those who have lost everything. What would I be grabbing while running out of the house? Kids' favourite toys, Russian books, my laptop, my slings. Cloth diapers. I remember reading somewhere about a mom who had a fire in her dryer and she still kept on trying to save her cloth diapers. She said no one could relate. I sure can. How come we manage to attach so much sentimental value to cloth diapers? I have no idea.

Earlier today I called my neighbour, an elderly, sweet know-it-all. "Evacuation?" she laughed. "No dear, we are not being evacuated. I've lived here for thirty years and we've never been evacuated. And even if we were, I would've been knocking on your door by now." Good to know. As usual I was absent minded and didn't even have my radio on. I'd totally miss something like an evacuation.


Thank you to those who called and offered to stay with them in the case of evacuation. You've warmed my heart. Thank you. Thank you.
Notes:
More photos here:

3 comments:

  1. I've been following this on the news... I'm in NB, but a good friend of mine is a firefighter in HRM... hope they get things under control soon, I heard they were calling in equipment and backup from here.... scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the dog eating a bone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my vote: an elephant

    Love your short story "Postcard from Brazil". Quirky and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete