Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Poetry on the way or my memory is not the same

Toronto Transit Commission has, or used to have, Poetry on the Way project. In addition to advertisements in subways and buses, there were also short poems, usually on light yellow background. When I lived in Toronto, spotting a poem in a subway car or on a bus was a marvellous blessing. I'd read and re-read them, and often copy them on a piece of paper. But for some strange reason, I could never remember a poem from the beginning to the end.
For example, I remember the feelings a poem by Margaret Atwood evoked, and even where I sat when I first read it. But the actual words? Apple jelly? Remember summer? Picking apples? Well, something like that.

There was another poem that I loved. I had it copied, typed, and printed. It had dozens of pin holes, from being pinned above my desk or in the kitchen. But I lost that piece of paper in our move. I don't remember the author. So I'm going to list the words I remember, and maybe someone, one day, will stumble upon this blog and will realise he or she knows this poem. If this happens, please let me know! The poem is a list that describes a relationship.

Flash fried perogies.
(wink?) Antonioni
Muffins before the bananas rot
List of names for a boy
Kurosawa
Kimchi
Coached to notice when mock orange is in bloom
... (asleep?) but sounds of breath from another room

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog entry because I too was searching for the words to this poem that I loved and had copied out many years ago while sitting on a streetcar. I can't find my copy of it anymore, but I will look again. I believe the author's name was Ken something...

    The last line is "Alone, but breath sounds from another room".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to let you know that I figured out the author's name: Ken Babstock. He's published by House of Anansi, and I emailed them to see if it's possible to get a copy of the poem or find out where it was published. I will update you when I hear back from them.

    ReplyDelete