Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Praise

Just as I was thinking that I've been stuck on one pivotal chapter, and my protagonist, a young Russian student named Dasha (short of Yevdokiya) , has been stuck in an apartment of a odd elderly man, I got an email asking whether I wanted a novel buddy. Oh YES! One of the conditions? The process phase requires praise, praise, and more praise. Oh No!

I'm sceptical of praise. I like praise, sure, but I'd rather be torn apart with criticism. Praise picks me up when I'm low, but criticism moves me forward, allows me to grow as a writer. So what do I need now, when poor Dasha sits on the sofa of a man who's neighbours just called him a drunk, and the man himself whispers into Dasha's ear that he's expecting a ghost of Chopin any moment now...I think I need praise. Because I'm not sure at all about that Chopin thing, and Dasha wants to run away, even before she realises...

Stern self-talk: Stop, Ania, stop. You need to rethink the whole Chopin situation. If Masha, or was it Dasha, needs to run away, just let her. (Masha, by the way, is short of Maria. So see, similar short forms, very different full names. Russian language is weird this way.)

So I'm preparing myself for praise and self-loving. This is how I'll get to the end of this chapter and to the end of this novel. The critical part will come next.

And an unrelated update: I love walking. I love walking in Halifax. I love warm weather. I love my old comfy sandals. I have one huge blister in a completely unexpected place on my foot. Ouch!

1 comment:

  1. Often when I get only praise and no criticism, I feel like I can't trust the person. As sad as it is, I believe criticism to be honest and compliments to be fake. But, I'm changing my attitude. We need both. And our writing is worthy of both. In everything you write, there will be something that is wonderful, and there will probably we something that can be improved upon. The best reviewer will tell you both.

    ReplyDelete