Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Unicorns and the magic of learning

My six year old is writing a novel. About unicorns. Unlike her mom (who doesn't "do plot"), she already grasped the concept of a cliff-hanger. Every night for the last week or so, she stays up with me after her brother falls asleep, and we write. Sometimes she allows me to read her chapters. Let me tell you, they are action packed. There are captures, and escapes, and drunken pirates, and gigantic cannibals. I should learn a thing or two from her, I swear. She has it all figured out--I'm her editor; daddy is her illustrator; age group six and older (as there're scary parts), she will sell it in a form of a chapbook to Russian speaking children in Halifax (translation into English to follow), and the money she earns she wants to share with her parents, as she already noticed her mother doesn't really earn any money despite of all that "writing thing" she does every night.

Proud learning moment for me--I almost asked her whether she wanted me to rewrite it "nicely, so you could read it better" but I resisted the temptation. It wasn't easy. I had to stuff my mouth with a handfull of raisins and force myself to chew instead of talking. She's very independent about her endeavours and she needs to "own" her projects. There'll be plenty of time for editing when (if) she's ready. Right now the most important thing is that she's writing, creating, joyfully, and this is the best "learning" one can imagine.

4 comments:

  1. Keep eating raisins. If a lot of people in my life had eaten more raisins I might not have waited so long to discover that no matter what, I'm a writer.

    Congratulations on having another writer in the family. And thanks for giving me an idea...My daughter who is five can write quite well. I wonder if she's interested...

    Breeze

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Nothing wrong with a little plot. :)

    (By the way, I was a LLL leader for ten years. Love, love, love that group.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breeze--yes to raisins.

    Mary--it is on my to do list to train to be a leader when my children are older. I loved going to meetings when we were in Toronto. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Molly! For a while I fretted that I wasn't modelling many activities that she could emulate or do alongside with me. And then she learned to write. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete