Monday, May 4, 2009

Mini Stories

I'm addicted to fifty words mini stories. Yes, there's a prize involved, but the fun is still pure. I love the challenge, and am impressed with the depth that one can get with such brutal constraints. Another advantage? I can compose them in my head! I come up with a version late at night, before falling asleep, and in the morning I write it down and polish. Last night I tried to summarise my novel in 50 words. I wasn't successful, but I'm working on it.

The deadline is August 1oth. With the rate I'm going, I should have about 100 mini stories to choose from.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Thanks for the information. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of stories, Ania! Good luck! I'm in awe that you can remember stories over night. Whenever I have any idea that will fix my writing before I go to bed, it's almost always lost to me by the time I wake. Nowadays, if I get any sort of inspiration, I force myself to get out of bed and jot it down. (Then, of course, I usually lose the piece of paper I wrote on.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Normally I force myself out of bed, I'm too terrified to forget, especially if it is something about my novel. But I find that with the mini stories, because they are generally only 3 sentences, and because they are a complete idea (not a part of a bigger idea)I do really well. I can visualise them, and this helps me to remember with confidence. But when I think of another scene for my novel--they are often gone in the morning, unless I get up and write them down.

    ReplyDelete