Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Notes from the trip to Iqaluit

Predictable: I carry my pyjama clad 4 year old into a cab at 3AM, and half way to the airport realise I forgot his boots.

Funny: The four year old falls asleep before take-off, wake up at 10 minutes stop-over 1 hour into the flight, in place called Vampiro (gotta Google it, and it might not even be called Vampiro) and asks, “How come we’re still not flying?”

Miraculous: The baby slept the entire 4 hour Ottawa-Iqaluit flight.

Outrageous: We normally fly on First Air, and their strategy of serving a hot chocolate chip cookie 1 hour before landing is a perfect distraction for everyone involved. When they say ‘hot’, they mean it. Canadian North offered an alcohol infused coffee with whipped cream. How’s that fair? Okay, I admit it, I really wanted it, and no, I don’t think they would’ve given one to a mom flying alone with 3 kids.

Forgotten: How crappy the produce is in the store. How wonderful the arctic air smells.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, and thrilled to hear you made it safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have missed something...are you just visiting, or is this an actual move back to Iqaluit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the congratulations. We're pretty excited.

    I do miss the North sometimes, although I do feel that we are in the right place for us at the moment.

    We do want to go back, but later on in life.

    We're visiting Nova Scotia in July. Will you still be in Nunavut?

    ReplyDelete