Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Want to design a flag?

If it wasn't for my ever-curious kids, I would've remained an ignoramus forever. But this morning we stumbled upon National Geographic for Kids contest for ocean flag design. Since my daughter is crazy about everything related to oceans, she got really excited about trying to design a flag. Now, two things: the contest is open to the US residents only (ouch) and it is for kids ages 8 to 14. She's 6 months too young.


But after a bit of clicking I learned what vexillology means. Vexillology is the study of flags. There are five principles of flag design. They are all pretty common sense, but reading through them helped me to organise my thoughts about flags.

1. Keep it simple.
2. Use meaningful symbolism
3. Use 2-3 basic colours
4. No letters of seals
5. Be distinctive or be related

My most favorite flag is Japanese. I've always loved it. I just spent 3 minutes searching for a nice clip art, and the ones that I like want me to pay for them. I'm not willing to spend more than 3 minutes on flag search. At least it is not an obscure little flag. You all know how it looks like.

Canadian is a close second.

Now, she is designing an ocean flag, and I'd like to create a flag for our family. For some reason this activity appeals to me. Now, what colours to I choose for a diorganised wife who should be sweeping the floor at this very moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment