Thursday, June 18, 2009

Stepping back

Stepping back from my novel wasn’t easy, but it happened naturally, as I got involved with my other writing projects. The result? Amazing clarity.

Stepping back when my newly seven year old daughter writes a blog? Creative spelling and all, and calls me Any? Well, I’m exercising amazing self-restrain. It is her blog, and if she wants to blog about not getting any sleep because of her baby sister crying the entire night, well, that’s her blog.

Yesterday, her blog had more hits than mine. Creative spelling and all.

Several times in the last week I contemplated mentioning to her how certain words are spelled, or gently showing them to her in context. But I know better than that. I know she’s learning in her own pace and her obvious enthusiasm about blogging is more important than spelling. She’s aware of discrepancies, but she’s also content with the way she spells. I’m beyond content. Frankly, I’m thrilled. She’s blogging in English; still writing her novel (yes, about Unicorns) in Russian, and dreams about translating it and then selling to the targeted audience of Halifax children. Her marketing plan is better than mine as well.

Now, about that crying baby. I’ve participated in on-line discussions about parents blogging about their young children, without their consent. I never felt my wrong doings so sharply as in the moment when she blogged about the baby crying all night. It was 2 minutes, 2mintues! I wanted to tell her. Yes, it coincided with you waking up, but it was 10AM already!

Yeah, right. Her blog. Her world. My blog. My world. I won’t be blogging much about her anymore. I will try not to. But moms find their kids too adorable not to blog about. Irresistible topics.

If I stick to writing about my writing on this blog, I need a new header, a new title. Maybe.

4 comments:

  1. Newly seven? Any chance of a share deal in the Vesenny dynasty?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Ok so this is the difference in our perception versus the childs perception. To them a few moments does seem like forever. I have found that even with my teenagers, they stil have a skewed sense of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank: she's a complete mystery, you never know! :-)

    Stacy: well yes, I'm acutely aware of this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ania, This was a very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete