Sunday, February 28, 2010

POV thoughts

The WIP, the novel currently titled The Sabbatical, seems to be asking for at least two alternating point of views. I feel having two narrators will give the novel more depth--almost like adding several new dimensions with one additional POV. It will be much more fun to write, that's for sure. However, as a reader, I strongly prefer novels with a single point of view. Whenever I encounter a second POV in a novel, I tend to stop, or at least pause. I hate switching between characters. At best, I'd be putting such a novel aside for a couple of days. At best, I'd be flipping through the pages, searching for the original POV, and reading ahead one character's story only, then going back for the second character.

However, I love novels in stories, and enjoy various POVs in them. How can that be? I've tried to figure out what's the difference. A novel in stories, offers, by design, a somewhat disjointed world view--I love this. The more gaps I need to fill in, the better. A new POV is almost an independent entity. It is a photo album of snapshots. In a more traditional novel, I wonder if adding a POV is a bit like cheating. It is a portrait, in one big frame, but there are other people competing for my attention, and one of them is necessarily more in focus than the others.

Now back to my novel. I think I'm going to stick to a single POV. I find this more challenging, and therefore, it is a different kind of fun. I wonder if I can achieve the dimensionality I crave with a single POV. If not, I can add a POV later.

I am wondering whether I'm the only one who is not so keen on multiple POVs while reading, and more excited about them while writing? Please share!

2 comments:

  1. I actually love multiple POVs, for what it's worth. It's a great tool for controlling pace, as well. As a reader, I like them to be fairly different in tone/voice, for the contrast and play offs, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about controlling pace. Good point!

    ReplyDelete